1. FALSE: Popping pimples may seem to reduce their size, but it can actually aggravate blemishes by spreading bacteria, causing them to take longer to heal. Not only that, but popping or picking at pimples causes scars and dark spots to form.
2. FALSE: It’s important to have a clean face, but washing your face with force several times a day can cause your skin to produce more oil to make up for the moisture being washed away. Not to mention skin will become red and irritated. Your best bet is to wash once or twice a day with a gentle liquid cleanser that contains Salicylic Acid and Tea Tree extract, like Daily Face Wash.
3. FALSE: Pizza, chocolate and junk food have long been labeled “acne magnets,” but there’s very little scientific evidence to back up this claim. However, men should aim to eat a balanced diet full of vitamins from fruits and vegetables, and drink a lot of water for overall well-being.
4. FALSE: When you tan, dead cells build up on your skin’s surface. This can often cause your pores to look tighter and the surface to look smoother. Tanning also masks redness caused by acne. However, once the tan disappears, you’ll be left with greater outbreaks and darker acne scars and marks. Protect skin exposed to direct sunlight by regularly applying TiO2 Sunblock SPF 30 (especially if using a treatment containing Benzoyl Peroxide).
5. TRUE: Men who work in places that put them in constant contact with grease and oil (restaurants and garages, for example) may find themselves breaking out more because oil creates an ideal environment for bacteria to reproduce. Although there’s no simple way to rectify this, they should clean skin gently at least twice a day and try to keep their hands from their faces at all times.
6. TRUE: Benzoyl Peroxide is an antibacterial ingredient prescribed by dermatologists as the preferred topical medicine for safe treatment for acne. It clears acne-causing bacteria on the surface, absorbs excessive oils and clear pores, while promoting greater cell exfoliation and renewal. Doctors also prescribe Green Tea, Urea and Allantoin to help soothe acne-irritated skin. (Acne Therapy Lotion and Acne Spot Repair utilize all of these powerful ingredients to keep skin clear.) Because Benzoyl Peroxide has powerful antibacterial and exfoliating qualities, it may take some time for skin to get used to the treatment. Once skin has become accustomed to the treatment however, irritation, redness or dryness usually disappears. The best bet is to apply a small amount only once a day, and then increase frequency gradually over 5 – 6 days. If too much dryness occurs, decrease frequency and gradually increase again.
7. TRUE: Glycolic and Salicylic Acids work very effectively to exfoliate dead skin cells and clear pores. By reducing pore blockage, acne has less of a chance to form and breakouts are reduced. Exfoliation with gentle products that contain Glycolic and Salicylic Acids, such as Microfine Face Scrub, Daily Face Wash and Post-Shave Repair, helps smooth and clean skin, while also reducing instances of ingrown hairs as well.
8. FALSE: During acne treatment, skin often seems to take a turn for the worse before it begins getting better. This is due in part to the need to become accustomed to a treatment and the exfoliating process of shedding dead skin cells. The important thing is to keep usage regular. If, however, skin remains irritated for a long period of time, stop acne treatment and consult a doctor.
9. TRUE: It takes new cells 28 days to form and move through the epidermal layer of skin to finally appear on the surface. This is why results are not always immediately apparent. Using a product with Glycolic Acid (like Microfine Face Scrub) may accelerate this process and help clear away dead skin cells.
10. TRUE: Noncomedogenic means ingredients in the product do not clog pores or provoke acne. Although it’s definitely recommended for men with oily skin, you should use non-irritating, noncomedogenic products no matter what skin type you have. All MenScience products have been developed by doctors and are noncomedogenic.
11. FALSE: Perspiration helps flush toxins from the body and maintains body temperature, but it does not cleanse skin at all. In fact, leaving sweat on your body can actually cause acne breakouts. Because of this, remember to take a shower or wash your face immediately after sweating heavily with a gentle cleanser like Daily Body Wash or use Post-Shave Repair several times a day.
12. FALSE: If only this were true! While acne outbreaks are often strongest during teen years (due to hormonal imbalances and improper skincare), acne can affect men their entire lives. Good skin health needs to be regularly maintained to avoid falling prey to blemishes. For the occasional zit, use Acne Spot Repair. If you break out fairly regularly, keep bacteria down with Acne Therapy Lotion.
13. FALSE: Acne can affect guys with any skin type, from dry to combination and even normal. Men with oily skin might be more susceptible to outbreaks, but they are by no means alone.
14. TRUE: Bacteria (P. acnes) play a big part in the creation of acne. Once a skin pore becomes clogged, acne bacteria begin to grow, causing blemishes to form. Benzoyl Peroxide is the most effective treatment for acne because it introduces oxygen into the bacteria, which kills it. For immediate acne treatment, apply Acne Spot Repair directly to blemishes only. They should clear up within 24-48 hours.
15. TRUE: Using a gentle exfoliating face scrub that contains Salicylic and Glycolic Acids (like Microfine Face Scrub) can help clear pores of dirt and blockage, cutting down on the instances of acne. However, do not use a scrub if your acne is severe; it could aggravate your skin further.
16. TRUE….and FALSE: Acne is a painful, annoying condition, but it doesn’t need to negatively affect your lifestyle. While healthy skin is something we should all aim for, an occasional pimple or breakout is nothing to freak out about and can be treated with the right acne products. Remember: almost everyone is affected by acne. By using the most effective acne products and skincare techniques, there’s nothing to stop you from attaining a clear, healthy complexion.
13-16 Answers Correct: Acne Expert
Copyright © MenScience Androceuticals 2007.
|ABSTRACT: MenScience busts myths and reveals the truth about the causes of men’s acne, acne treatment, and acne medicine, as well as acne cleansers, blemish control and acne skin care products.
Comedogenic vs Non-comedogenic Products
The Science of Breakouts
Eight Ways to Battle Back Acne
|Request an Article
Have a topic you'd like to see turned into an article? Submit an article request now!
Bookmark this page to:
Men’s Acne Facts versus Fiction
Discover the Truth about Treating and Preventing Acne Printable Version